Sunday, November 27, 2011

Different

When I spent a semester in England, my friend I was living with told me that she'd like to just get rid of her car. England is a completely different and wonderful culture. Their refrigerators aren't half the size of ours, and they don't eat "leftover's" all the time like we do. They walk to "the shop" and get groceries for one meal, rather than one week (and Costco?...what's that??). They have street markets with fresh produce (it won't last more than a couple days), They have a lot less room for vehicles and much better public transportation than we have. Besides, their fuel is much more expensive. Wow, I got on great there! I walked everywhere and was encouraged to use the Bus system and the Underground.
My friend explained to me that with her kids grown and out of the house (and the fact that she really doesn't drive so much anymore), she didn't have much desire to hang onto her car and keep paying for the gas. I was intrigued by this. Where I live...you are very strange if you do not have a vehicle!

No comments:

Post a Comment